Diego has a new hobby.
And we are all loving it.
Earlier this summer, Nino shared a little bit about his childhood with Diego and how he enjoyed building model cars when he was younger.
As I saw Diego dive, head-first into this new activity, I realized that there are so many benefits to him investing his time and effort into building these scaled model cars.
I sat back and saw how his attention to detail and his desire to connect with his Dad through a common interest lead to building character in my little one.
And we all know, as parents, we encourage them to build character for more reasons than just one.
From what I could see, the time he was investing lent itself to so many skills and virtues.
Without even researching, I told Nino how proud I was of both of them because I knew that this shared activity was clearly a “good thing.”
While wearing my “teacher” hat, I came up with a list that I thought I would share with all of you.
I found that building model cars:
- teaches Diego to choose a project that he knows he can finish without frustration.
- strengthens his fine motor skills through
- popping out the plastic pieces
- cutting, painting, gluing, and assembling said pieces
- reinforces his hand eye coordination
- helps him understand the importance of reading the directions and following a process.
- hones his eye for detail
- helps him BOND with his dad and his brother in the choosing, assembling, and completing a project together
- keeps him off of electronics and apps
- helps in him centering himself, slowing down, and is an overall calming experience
When I searched a little further on the internet to see if anyone had actually studied the positive effects of building model cars, I found this article.
According to www.model-space.com these are 6 major benefits to building model cars.
- Skill Development
- Stress Release
- Instant and Ongoing Rewards
- Chance to be an Artist
- Making your own Trophy Collection
- Spending Time with Loved Ones
But don’t take my word for it. Take Diego’s. Watch our first vlog that Nino shot for us. We had a lot of fun doing this. And I realized how slow I speak. Promise to speak faster in the next one 🙂
Please do leave us a comment and tell me what else you would like to see me and the kids do together! I’m really looking forward to exploring our vlogging together. I figured each of my kids can enjoy sharing their hobbies or interests with all of you, and while we share it with you, we are investing time in one another as well.