Recently, I was invited to an Open House by List Sotheby’s International Realty Philippines.
Now, I don’t know about you, but this is not the norm. It was so out of the ordinary, that I was curious and immediately began asking questions.
After I cleared up a little confusion on my part (which was actually kinda funny) I realized:
- That the home for sale was in my village
- That I had seen it going up because it is in a very nice location near the park
- That this was going to be a luxurious home to explore because (of course) it was listed by List Sotheby’s Asia
I don’t know too many people who would NOT be familiar with Sotheby’s. For me, when Sotheby’s is mentioned, there are a few things that come to mind like fine art, cars, auctions, jewelry, and of course, real estate.
List Sotheby’s International Realty Philippines holds many properties here in the country, and they range from single family residential homes to office space in the middle of the city, and property that has yet to be developed.
I’ve been to a few Open Houses back in New York, so I thought I had an idea of what to expect when talking about the average real estate company trying to sell a house. Take note: the key word in that sentence is average.
In this particular case, I already knew that something would be a bit different about this property. From the perfectly staged living room and outdoor entertaining area, by Ethan Allen Philippines, to the Audi R8 and Aston Martin DB9 parked in the garage, and the elevator which brought me up to the third floor of the house, I could see that this house was going to present itself as an out of the home which would fit a family with luxurious taste
KEY FEATURES OF the TANAUAN property constructed by DRACO
- Lot Area: 560 square meters
- Floor Area: 800 square meters
- Ground Floor
- Large living room/Elevator/Lanai/ Powder Room/Dining Area/ Den/ Kitchen with modular cabinetry from Germany/Dirty Kitchen/Swimming Pool with Jacuzzi/Garden/6 car garage/ Electronic Gate/Servants and Driver’s Quarters
- Second Floor
- Large High Ceiling Family Room with bar provision/ Masters Bedroom with tub and 2 level walk in closet/ Four High Ceiling Bedroom and Bath and Walk in Closet/ 12 in wide AAA Narra Planks and doors used through 2nd and 3rd floor including the den/I beam staircase with Narra planks used through out/LED lighting/UPVC charcoal grey windows used throughout
- Third Floor
- Exercise Room/Fifth Bedroom/Storage Room/Separate Restroom
- Modular Kitchen cabinetry from Germany/Kuchen oven and microwave/Kohler bathroom fixtures/ Fuji Four person Elevator/ Electronic Italian gate
Ok, so here was where my friend Joyce at the agency knew that bribing me with something having to do with the table, food, or cooking would entice me to attend an out of the box event like this.
Frieda Lim has been offering exclusive cooking classes in her home for many years. I was lucky enough to meet Tita Frieda two years ago, when I was asked to speak at the home of one of her friend’s, Martha Uy.
The idea behind having a cooking demonstration in a home that is being offered on the market is brilliant. It’s even better when the dishes being taught and served up are easy to do, and delicious.
Tita Frieda premised her cooking demo with the simple idea that when you buy a home, you can learn to entertain. When you buy a beautiful home like this particular one which we were exploring for the afternoon, it also doesn’t have to be fancy shmancy nor do you have to slave.
In less than an hour, Tita Frieda put out a delicious DIY buffet of savory snacks, apps, and of course dessert that had all the media in attendance impressed and HUNGRY!
I’m a dipper so she had me even before she said caviar. This easy to make app can be made ahead, refrigerated, and just before serving, you can mix in your caviar.
I think these veggie cream cheese tortilla rolls are a fun way to feed the troops, no matter whether you are entertaining or trying to feed your own kids. It’s a great hand held snack which can be changed up, simply varying the ingredients you mix in with your cream cheese. This is also a great make ahead dish. Tita Frieda said she has these in the freezer often.
Anything that is hand held and a mini version of another typed of food is not just cute, it’s easier to eat. I’ve seen these snacks done a few different ways on Tasty, but Tita Frieda made it look effortless when she prepared these buttery ham and Swiss sliders that she baked in the oven and served piping hot.
Of course, a party isn’t a party unless there is something sweet at the end. As I saw the menu coming together with the variety of ingredients that were a combination of home made and store bought, I realized that I would put together many of these dishes in my home because they were not only easy but relatively healthy. (except for maybe all that butter 😬)
Plus, doing something like this which is simple and not over the top is also another way you could welcome people into your brand new home for the very first time.
We all know that a house does not make a home. A family who loves each other and lives within the confines of the four walls of the home is what gives a home life, energy, and Chi that can be felt the moment you walk through their door.
But I have to admit, I think starting off with the good bones of a house like this, wouldn’t be such a bad start.
Not at all.
Here is an excellent recipe that you can throw together at a moment’s notice from Tita Frieda. I loved this light and creamy dip, and the fact that she uses caviar in it, levels it up to satisfy, even the most discerning palates.
Write a review
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly minced dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100 grams black lumpfish roe
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the cheese
- until smooth.
- With mixer on medium speed, add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, scallion, milk salt and pepper.
- With a rubber spatula fold in ¾ of the fish roe.
- Spoon the dip into a bowl and garnish with the remaining roe and sprigs of fresh dill.
- Serve with chips, toast or crackers.
Momma 'N Manila http://www.mommanmanila.com/
List Sotheby’s International Realty Philippines
Artfully uniting extraordinary properties with extraordinary lives
Ethan Allen Philippines
Cooking with Frieda