For this #29DaysofAwareness post, I’d like to highlight one way which we work on the goals we set in occupational therapy for Gellibean.
Sometimes, we are working on our therapy goals, and Gellibean doesn’t even realize it.
Here are some goals we are working on for Gelli with Teacher Pat:
- Cooperative Play
- Taking Turns
- Following two part directions
- Pretend Play
What better way to work on that, then having a play date for the kids and the mommas!
Check out this video from our “Foodie Playdate.”
In this video Gellibean is having tea with her classmate Olivia.
Olivia is like the Mother Hen in her class. She looks after Gelli, (even if Gelli doesn’t feel she needs someone to look after her.) she is very articulate, and she knows how to shake her booty. I love watching the productions that Teacher Maricel puts on because quite a few of the girls like to dance and perform. (Gelli sometimes dances to the beat of her own drum and I think I’m quite ok with this.)
But here are the things that are important for me to see:
- Gellibean answers Olivia when Olivia asks her if she wants milk. It may not be so clear because of her speech but she says that “No, Thank You,” and asks for the teapot instead.
- Gellibean tries to include Olivia’s little sister in on the tea party by asking her “Where’s your cup?”
- Gellibean takes turns with Olivia in pouring tea and holding the teapot.
- Gellibean calls her yaya’s attention to the fact that she’s playing and turns to her and even says “I’m playing!”
- She is pretending to drink the tea, hence pretend play.
It’s so awesome to see all of these things. In fact, I can’t wait to show Teacher Pat this video and a couple of others that I took before everyone came over for the playdate. Gellibean is doing so well with her friends at The Little Apprentice.
Foodie playdates are filled with fun not just for the kiddos, but also for the mommas.
In Gellibean’s case, she gets to socialize while I’m close by, in case she needs a reminder in appropriate behavior….like not bopping the babies on the head :-/
So, what’s on the calendar for the coming months? More scheduled play dates. Thanks Andrea for hosting this playdate. And thanks to Sabs and Nicole for bringing yummy food and drink to share.
We are definitely looking forward to more playdates in the future with Foodie friends and mommas.
Andrea M says
Oh wow! So much progress for Gellibean! High 5 Gelli and of course a pat on the back (and a sangria) for Momma, youre doing an amazing job! ??
Thank you Andrea. Thank you for hosting. Thank you for sharing O with Gelli. And thanks for being my friend!