I have always enjoyed journaling.
When I was younger, the diaries my father gifted me with were filled with hopes and dreams.
As I grew older, journaling replaced my diaries and it was a way for me to reflect back on relationships and lessons learned.
As a mother, I realized that it was easier for me to list all the different things that I needed to accomplish for a family of six in order to feel productive during the day.
I have a few different journals now. I take notes during bible study. I write down lists on recycled paper. I have scrapbooks that I worked on when I had a little more time.
I think what I most enjoy, is keeping a gratitude journal.
And I love doing all of that with my pens that I love to collect.
I have often joked my friend Blaise that I hide my pens and markers from my kids.
Actually, it’s not really a joke. I love looking at (and using) all the different colors in writing my notes, my lists, and in my journals. There are many benefits to writing things down as opposed to typing them up. Even in this day and age where my Google calendar is synced with my kids and my husband, I still receive great joy when I write things down and check them off in my list of things to do.
Here are just some of the benefits we receive when we write things down: (with colorful Stabilo pens)
- It helps us think bigger. Having a journal and writing down dreams, goals, and aspirations, not only keeps record, but further inspires us. Gives Ideas. Motivates.
- It helps us learn more. According to a study in 2010, it was proven that writing things down, and taking notes furthered learning more than just reading it off the board.
- It boosts your memory. Making lists, and checking the items off the list helps you remember what you have to do. Same goes for note taking with a pen vs. note taking on a laptop.
- It lessens distraction. Of course, when we are on an electronic device there is always the risk of Candy Crush calling…
- It helps you stay sharp as you grow older. According to another study writing things down will help you across your lifetime and as you get older. It’s good for brain health!
So, now, my challenge is to make good use of all those journals that I have been hoarding.
Thank you, Stabilo for always inspiring me in big and small ways with your colors. I love bringing color into my life with you!
If you want to learn more about the workshop that I attended where I was able to learn about bullet point journaling with @aina.kristina using the #PastelisTheNewCool Collection, click here to see our LIVE session that was broadcasted on the Stabilo Philippines Facebook Page, earlier this month.